We are glad to share our insights on our stay at Killarney Mountain Lodge, which we deem one of the best places to stay in Killarney, Ontario.
When we were planning our last summer weekend getaway to Killarney, we considered several options for places to stay. We eventually decided to stay at Killarney Mountain Lodge, a rustic full-service resort and marina, close to the town center. Our story below discusses in more detail our stay in this resort.
Killarney Mountain Lodge
The resort is nestled on Georgian Bay’s north shore and located at 3 Commissioner Street, only around 0.6 kilometers from the center of Killarney. It is a family-owned resort and prides itself on having a friendly ambiance and a provider of the high-end amenities for a refined Canadian wilderness lodge experience.
The video below provides a peek into the facilities and amenities available at Killarney Mountain Lodge.
The resort rests between the red granite shores of Georgian Bay and white quartzite hills and sparkling lakes of Killarney Provincial Park close by. Such a location provides unlimited opportunities for canoe, kayak, and sailboat on the one hand and hiking the trails in the spectacular scenic wilderness nearby.
Killarney Mountain Lodge is a perfect oasis for a nice getaway – thanks to excellent accommodation options, top-notch dining, outstanding amenities on top of the outdoor activities available.
Check out our YouTube Channel for more videos.
The Lodge provides a full-service resort experience with flexible accommodation options and varied dining facilities and excellent amenities.
Below are the various accommodation choices available from the resort:
- Covered Portage – This building (a recent addition) overlooks the Killarney Channel. It features a unique accommodation experience. It has spacious air-conditioned suites with either a king bed (King View Suite) or two queen beds (Queen View Suite), providing lodge-style amenities, a generous three-piece bathroom with a shower, and lush outdoor leisure spaces.
- Cabin Suites – These are collections of pine-paneled suites found throughout the resort grounds. These suites embody the historical roots of Killarney Mountain Lodge and rustic simplicity. These non-air-conditioned suites are connected to the main Lodge via a covered walkway and furnished with either a plush King bed (Killarney Suites) or Queen bed (Georgian Bay Suites) and a bathroom with a shower.
- Executive Suites – These private residences (except for one) look out onto the Killarney Channel, providing a breathtaking panoramic view of the water on one side and forests/majestic mountains on the other.
- Long House Suites – These suites are built for family vacations in mind, featuring one master room with a cozy king bed and a second room featuring a trundle bed for the kids. These suites have easy access to the pool, sauna, restaurant, and adjacent parking.
- La Cloche Rooms – The La Cloche Rooms offer basic dormitory-style accommodations at lower prices, but still providing access to all amenities of the resort.
- Pine Lodge Rooms – A Pine Lodge Room comes with a small three-piece bathroom with a shower and a plush Queen and Twin bed. These are not insulated nor air-conditioned.
For our visit, we decided to book King View Suites at the Covered Portage. A couple of things to note is that the suites do not come with cable TV. But who needs it in such an idyllic place with so much to fill your day. Free wifi is not available in the rooms. It was a good thing we brought our pocket wifi. Check out our separate post on this and other gadgets that may come in handy for getaways like this.
Dining at the Resort
Source: Killarney Mountain Lodge website
The Lodge has a range of delicious dining options to satisfy every craving and include the following:
- The Carousel Lounge – This is the most popular event space and entertainment hub in the resort. Here you can enjoy music, dancing, local craft beer, and internationally sourced wine while looking out to a remarkable view of the Killarney Channel and the surrounding landscape. You can order your meal from the Main Dining Room and take it to the Carousel Lounge for a more casual setting.
- The Main Dining Room – Adorned with original paintings by some of Killarney’s best artists, traditional chalet décor, soft linens, and rich table settings, the Main Dining Room promises an intimate and lavish dining experience. Besides, you have the views overlooking the Killarney Channel and the Carousel Lounge giving the right ambiance as you sit back and enjoy your meal and drinks.
- The Ranch House – This is the Lodge’s premier steak house, located at the Canada House, the world’s largest log style conference structure, where you can enjoy expertly-crafted dishes and wine selections while looking out to Georgian Bay and the Killarney Channel.
- The Great Room – A casual space for food and drinks while unwinding and sharing the day’s experiences. A large stone fireplace provides a relaxing ambiance, and large patio doors beckon you to a tiered outdoor patio where you can enjoy your meal or drinks while watching the boats sail by.
- Others – The Outdoor BBQ is a great place to enjoy during summer months, while Curds ‘N Whey is an excellent source of fresh bread, etc. paired with warm coffee, cappuccino, or latte for breakfast.
Things to do
As we shared in a related post, Killarney has magnificent landscapes and beautiful bodies of water, perfect for a host of activities. Some of these are:
You can do this right from the resort. There is a moderate-difficulty Lighthouse Trail that begins on the east side of the entrance to the Killarney Mountain Lodge and takes approximately 2-3 hours to cover the 5 kilometers round trip. It will take you through a forest trail to the Killarney East Lighthouse that will provide you a fabulous view of Georgian Bay.
If you would rather skip the forest, a short drive can take you to the Killarney Provincial Park, where hiking trails for different skill levels are available for your choosing. During our last visit to Killarney, we did both, and we immensely enjoyed them.
There are many water-based activities you can enjoy at the resort. The more popular ones are:
- Fishing – Killarney has been famous for anglers, and the Lodge makes it easy and convenient. You can have an unforgettable fishing experience through Killarney Mountain Lodge. You can do it leisurely right at the docks or venture out to the shorelines of Killarney. The Register at the Lodge’s front desk can surely help you arrange for boat rentals, excursions, or charters. We did bring along our fishing gears but did not get the chance to use them due to schedule constraints. And the waters were not that ideal during our stay. Well, maybe next time.
- Water-Based Activities – Canoes, Kayaks, and Paddleboards are available for free use by guests of the Lodge. If you want to go for water excursions, the spectacular view of the Killarney Channel is perfect for various waterfront group activities, such as sailing and guided cruises. However, these offerings for the 2020 season have been at a limited scale due to the COVID-19 situation. As we did not pre-book, we did not get the chance to try any of these, and our other activities anyway filled up our time.
For a relaxed and comfortable stay at Killarney, an excellent option will be the Killarney Mountain Lodge, one of the best places to stay in Killarney, Ontario. You will surely enjoy a full-service resort experience with flexible accommodation facilities, a range of delicious dining options to satisfy every craving, and a host of activities and amenities at your disposal. If you want to book you stay at the Killarney Mountain Lodge, click the banner below.
Disclosure: This website participates in affiliate programs. We will earn a commission if someone purchases through the programs’ links on this site.
If you had the opportunity to enjoy this place, you may want to share your experience as well by leaving your comments below.